Developing Your Leadership Skills
Adult Programs / Professional Development -
Adult Online Professional & Personal Development Fall 2022
For future and emerging leaders in Gen Y, discover the key concepts of being a leader and the best strategies for developing your leadership skills and influence. Learn the unspoken secrets leaders know and the strategies they employ/exhibit in for influencing others.
This course can be taken alone or as part of the 3 course Certificate in Leadership Development.
Unit 1: Making Leadership Happen
- What leaders do, and don’t do
- What Leaders Believe
- Attributes of leaders: what characteristics leaders have that others don’t
- Making it happen: becoming a leader
- Leadership procedures and processes, how leaders work
Unit 2: Attending Meetings: Where the Action Is
- How to attend a meeting when you are not the leader
- The dynamics of meetings
- Recognizing the players in a meeting
- How to study. The unspoken cues of body language, silence, objections,
- Studying/Reading the leader in a meeting
Unit 3: The Secrets of Leading Successful Meetings
- Creating your meeting agenda and objective
- The 5 Secrets of leading an outcome oriented meeting
- Getting something passed
- Understanding meeting procedures: Bob’s Process Model
Unit 4: Change: How to Influence Others
- Creating the argument
- Delivering the case
- Gaining support, before, during, and after meetings
- Taking leadership
For more information, visit our question and answer page - Click Here.
William A. Draves is one of the foremost authorities in the world on teaching online. More than 6,000 faculty and teachers have taken this course. He did his graduate work in education, with an emphasis on adult education, from The George Washington University in Washington DC.
Draves has taught for over thirty years, including teaching at the graduate level. His books include "How to Teach Adults," the most popular book ever written on the subject, and "Energizing the Learning Environment."
He has been interviewed by Wired.com, The New York Times, NPR, NBC Nightly News, Washington Post, Virtual University News, Chronicle of Higher Education and other national media.
Draves is author of the book, "Advanced Teaching Online," which is used as the text book for this course. This course is part of the Certified Online Instructor (COI) designation, the most recognized certification for online teaching in higher education.